New Year’s resolutions are a great way to set goals and kickstart a healthier lifestyle, but for many of us, the excitement and motivation that comes with a fresh start can quickly fade once the reality of sticking to our goals sets in. So how do we stay motivated once the initial New Year’s buzz has worn off? Here are our top 7 tips for staying motivated on your fitness journey:
- Set realistic, measurable goals: One of the biggest reasons people lose motivation is because they set unrealistic goals for themselves. By setting small, attainable goals that you can measure, you’ll be able to see progress and track your success, which can be a powerful motivator. For example, instead of setting a goal to “lose weight,” set a goal to lose a specific amount of weight in a specific time frame, or to exercise for a certain number of minutes per day.
- Keep a record of your progress: Keeping a record of your progress, whether it’s through a journal, a fitness app, or a simple notebook, can help you stay motivated by providing a tangible reminder of how far you’ve come. Every time you record a workout or a healthy meal, you’ll be able to see how much you’ve accomplished, which can be a powerful motivator to keep going.
- Get support: Whether it’s through a workout buddy, a fitness class, or an online community, getting support can help keep you accountable and motivated. When we have someone else to share our goals and progress with, we’re less likely to give up, and we may also receive valuable tips and advice from others who are in a similar situation.
- Mix it up: Doing the same workout routine every day can get boring, and when we’re bored, it’s easy to lose motivation. To keep things interesting and prevent yourself from hitting a workout plateau, try switching up your workout routine by incorporating different types of exercise, such as weight lifting, cardio, yoga, or Pilates. This will not only keep your body guessing, but also keep you mentally engaged.
- Make it fun: Exercise doesn’t have to be a chore. If you’re struggling to stay motivated, try finding ways to make your workout more enjoyable. For example, if you don’t like going to the gym, try working out outdoors. If you’re not a fan of running, try dancing or swimming. The more you enjoy your workout, the more likely you are to stick with it.
- Reward yourself: Setting small rewards for yourself can help you stay motivated. For example, if you reach a milestone in your fitness journey, treat yourself to a massage or a new workout outfit. Just make sure that your rewards don’t sabotage your progress.
- Have a plan: Lastly, having a solid plan in place can help keep you on track and motivated. This includes setting specific workout and meal plans, scheduling workout sessions in your calendar, and preparing healthy meals in advance. By having a plan, you’ll be less likely to fall off track and more likely to achieve your goals.
Staying motivated on a fitness journey can be a challenge, but by setting realistic, measurable goals, keeping a record of your progress, seeking support, mixing up your routine, making it fun, rewarding yourself, and having a plan, you can increase your chances of success. Remember, the most important thing is to be kind and compassionate with yourself, progress takes time and setbacks are normal.
If you need help sticking to this plan, schedule a free consult at www.13stripesfitness.com/free-intro to meet with one of our team!